Message sent from:

Special Educational Need and Disability (SEND)

How will the school let me know if there are concerns with my child’s progress?

If your child is identified as not making expected progress the school will provide additional support and monitor their progress closely. Your views are important to us and we will discuss with you:

  • Any concerns you/we may have

  • Any further interventions or referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning

  • How we will work together, to support your child at home/school.

How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?

If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to your child’s class teacher. If have any further concerns you are welcome to speak to the Headteacher, Inclusion Manager, or the school SEND Governor.

Head teacher: Mrs Campkin

Inclusion Managers: Mrs K Belcher 

SEND Governor:  Mrs T Gray

Please ask at reception, or telephone the school on 01268 520850 to make an appointment.

Our school aims to work in partnership with parents and carers to provide children with the best possible school experience. If you are unhappy with the support being offered for your child and you have spoken to the above members of staff, please consult our complaints procedure which can be found on the school website.


How will my child’s views be listened to?

We always listen to our pupils as their welfare and happiness is important to us. We take into consideration their aspirations, preferences and needs.  Our children regularly set and review their own learning targets with their teacher. Some children who have specific barriers to learning are involved in writing a pupil profile to explain their needs.

How will you assess and review my child’s progress?

All children’s progress is assessed and reviewed each half term so that appropriate provision is provided. This will take place in a variety of ways including, tests, observations, discussions with staff and looking at children’s work.

When will I be involved?

You will be invited to meet with your child’s teacher during our parent consultation evenings. The Inclusion Manager is also available during this time to discuss his/her additional needs. Additional meetings may be arranged to discuss our provision for your child.  Children who have high level or complex needs will also have a yearly review where all of the people involved in their provision will be expected to contribute to their plan.

How will we support your child when they are leaving this school or moving to another class?

We recognise that ‘moving on’ can be difficult for a child with SEN/and or disabilities and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

If your child is moving to another school:

We will contact the new school’s SENCO and ensure they know about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child. We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible. If your child would be helped by a book to support them while moving on it will be made for them. Additional visits to their new school can be arranged and in some cases staff from the new school may visit your child here.

How will teaching be adapted for my child with Special Educational Needs?

Class Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, and will ensure that learning tasks are adjusted in order to enable your child to learn as independently as possible.

• Specially trained staff may support your child in the classroom or in a small intervention group that is targeted to their needs.

• Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.

What adaptations can be made to support my child?

Our school encourages inclusivity. Therefore we will ensure that reasonable adjustments are made for your child to access the curriculum. We promote a multisensory approach to learning which is particularly beneficial for children with a variety of needs. All of our classrooms have a wide range of visual prompts and practical resources. Additional adaptations can be discussed and put in place where necessary.

How are the adults in school helped to work with children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities?

The Inclusion Manager’s job is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEN. She organises training sessions for teaching assistants and teachers to update their knowledge and skills related to SEND.  Whole staff training takes place on a regular basis to improve the teaching and learning of children including those with SEND. Individual teachers and support staff can attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class.

The school has good links with outside agencies who offer a range of specialist services and support including:

  • Counselling Services
  • Parent Partnership Service
  • Sensory Service for children with visual or hearing needs
  • Educational Psychology Service
  • The Specialist Teacher Team
  • Health Professionals
  • Speech and Language Therapy
  • The School Health Visitor
  • The School Nurse

How do you know if things are working?

The School Inclusion Manager reviews and monitors the impact of provision for children who have SEND. This is regularly discussed with Senior Leaders and Governors to evaluate effectiveness and plan for the future.

How will you make sure my child is included?

We are an inclusive school that values the participation of all children. We actively encourage pupils with SEND to take part in all school activities and make adaptations where necessary.

What emotional wellbeing support is available?

There are opportunities for children to talk about their feelings in class.  We are a ‘listening’ school and ensure children know who they can talk to if they have particular worries. We have experienced and well trained midday assistants who engage well with the children during lunchtimes. There are clear procedures in place to deal with any incidences of bullying. 

How do you work with other agencies?

The school liaises closely with a variety of outside agencies and professionals to assess and support children’s needs. We host multi agency meetings to support children who have complex needs and their families.  We can signpost families to a range of support available in the Basildon area.

How does the school support pupils who are looked after by the local authority?

When a child is under the care of the local authority the school works closely with the designated contact for social care advice and the Virtual School Head to ensure we are meeting their needs. These children have Personal Education Plans (PEPs) which are reviewed regularly.

What is the Local Offer?

The Children and Families Act requires Local Authorities to publish and keep under review information about services they expect to be available for the children and young people with Special Educational Needs and/or Disability (SEND) aged 0-25. This is the ‘Local Offer.’ It is also an important resource for parents in understanding the range of services and provision in the local area. The Local Offer can be found at: www.essexlocaloffer.org.uk

Mrs Kylie Belcher Inclusion Manager and SENCO can be contacted via the school office on 01268 520850

For further information please refer to the SEND Inclusion Policy which can be found below.

SEND Inclusion Policy

Insert content here

SEND information report

Parent Leaflet

Link to the Local Offer


Hit enter to search